Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Elephants, Part 1: Mae Taeng in Chiang Mai

Any time we as tourists see animals in roadside-type attractions most of us feel a little sorry for them. I've seen my share of tigers who've been sedated enough to allow folks to pose with them for photos with an implied level of alleged safety - and I admit I've paid to do the pose.

I've also seen my share of elephants being forced to walk around on paved streets in a number of places. The asphalt is really tough on their foot pads and the autos, motorcycles and exhaust can't be good for their well being - physical or emotional, either one.

The Mae Taeng Elephant Park I visited near Chiang Mai last Fall wasn't a "roadside" place, it was a true encampment; the people giving all indication that they were sincere in their efforts to "rescue" elephants formerly used as beasts of burden, and that's also what I was told by the friend who deals with them on a regular basis. The only thing I AM sure of is that there are rarely absolutes, so while there probably ARE unhappy chang (elephants) there overall I feel comfortable recommending the place.

You'll see more clips and pictures in future posts from my day there, but here's one to end March with. It's a little jerky - I asked the elephant to move a little more smoothly, but I guess she wasn't listening. Maybe if I'd had a little bunch of bananas for her...

No comments: