Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It Takes A (Global) Village - Thank You

A random visitor map image, showing a partial day last month

There's a proverb that is usually attributed to one African tribe or another that goes "It takes a village to raise a child." I've recently seen it credited to the Nigerian Igbo proverb "Ora na azu nwa", which means it takes the whole community or village to raise a child, but the origin isn't as important here as the thought is.

Bao-Bao's Blog has always been (and always will be) a community effort, and I'll explain how: almost everything I've learned about Thailand has been through the shared thoughts and experiences of those I've come in contact with - here, there, via the printed media and through the labyrinth of the World Wide Web. If it were just myself sitting on my duff and anonymously spouting thoughts as fact it wouldn't have lasted the 10-plus months it's been stumbling along, and I'm grateful for everything I've had the pleasure and privilege to learn from everyone, met or as yet un-met.

This includes those of you who stop in and read my stuff here, and especially those who drop me an email or leave a comment to clarify or share your own experiences and thoughts - and although Thanksgiving has already passed, I wanted to stop and offer my personal thanks to you all.

Regardless of whether you've actually participated or not, I know you're out there... I've seen the numbers. I don't actively track visitor information, but Google itself (hosts and owners of Blogspot) has tracked basic numbers since June 1st, and I'm both humbled and amazed. Since June 1st there have been very close to 30,000 pageloads on this blog, and that's an average of over 150 per day. While that's peanuts to a commercial site, it's a heck of a lot to me. I have no idea what the totals would be if I could see back to the first post in the middle of March.

Depending on the time of day you're reading this, you're quite likely keeping company with a dozen or so others from around the globe. There are at least 50 who return to look in every day - from England, Canada, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, France, Japan, Singapore, Norway, Sweden, the Philippines, the USA and, of course, Thailand.

The blog has regular readers from places I'd never have expected - like the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Africa, the Grand Canary Islands, Iraq, Nepal, Maldive, Qatar and Kazakhstan. I've put a list of countries I've noted so far at the end of today's post, but I add new countries to it every time I look at the listings. There are also those who defy identification - such as military and "middle of nowhere" visitors that appear near no recognizable places. I welcome them all.

This was never intended to be anything more than a (probably short-lived) place to share about a country, culture and people that I've come to love - but I'm grateful for all of you, every day. Thanks for making this worth the ongoing effort.

VISITORS BY COUNTRY - AS OF 1 DECEMBER, 2010
Africa
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Bangla Desh
Belgium
Bosnia And Herzegovina
Brazil
Brunei
Bulgaria
Cambodia
Canada
Channel Islands (UK Dep)
Chile
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Ecuador
England
Fiji
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Guam
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Iran, Islamic Republic of
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Kazakhstan
Korea, Republic of
Kuwait
Lao People's Democratic Republic
Laos
Latvia
Lebanon
Lithuania
Macao
Madagascar
Malaysia
Maldive (Republic of)
Mexico
Mozambique
Nepal
Netherlands
New Zealand
Nigeria
Norway
Oman
Pakistan
Panama
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Republic of Mauritius
Romania
Russian Federation
Saudi Arabia
Scotland
Serbia
Singapore
Slovenia
South Africa
Spain
Spain (Grand Canary Islands)
St Vincent / Grenadines
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
Tunesia
Turkey
Turkmenistan
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
United States
Venezuala
Vietnam

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's probably 2 or 3 guys that travel a lot. ;)

Anonymous said...

.. your writing is entertaining.. and your photos are interesting.. it's no surprise to me that lots of readers visit, enjoy, and return to your blog. Me included.

krobbie said...

My goodness Boa-Boa ... so it's not just you and me. Joking. I see even Michael's here from SGT of old. How great.

Just goes to show you you... "build it and they will com, is more prophetic than you could have imagined.

I imagine that actually give you quite a lift?

CXheers Bao-Bao, keep it comin'.

Keith

khunbaobao said...

Michael - if these guys are well-to-do and in the habit of taking their friends along, I'd be interested in meeting them! LOL