Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Duty Free Shopping 2 - Taoyuan Airport, Updated

Gucci galore in this shop

A slight detour from the Trip Report begun yesterday. We've already covered beauty supplies and makeup available in the duty free areas of Taoyuan International in Taipei, but having a little more time than usual at my transfer point this trip I did a little more wandering around to see what sorts of shops there were there for fans of duty free and other shopping while traveling.

When I showed them the image one man said he'd prefer not to be shown, so he's blurred out per his request

I've received a few messages asking what was actually available there - evidently by people planning to be there at some point - so this time I took a closer look.  I only took photos of a small fraction of what's available, but it wasn't difficult to see Gucci bags in one shop, Gucci watches in another, Burberry in a third and Borsalini in a fourth.  Nothing that I'd purchase myself, but many appreciate the brands so I'm happy to share the images, if it helps.

Not exactly cosmetics, but more of a mix in this shop

The first post about the duty-free shops there had more to do with the beauty supplies, cosmetics, perfumes, toilet water and the likes; what my brother used to call "foo-foo" when we were kids, for some reason.

Brands like Lancome, Biotherm, Estee Lauder and Shiseido rule supreme at a few shops, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.


I've purchased foodstuffs at Tastes of Taiwan and found them reasonably priced and a nice change from some of the usual things I bring back stateside for people. They had no problem taking US dollars, but I can't vouch for any other currencies. There are at least two locations in the airport.


There's also a Hello Kitty store, but as I don't care for that empire I didn't take a shot of it. There are dozens of other shops, too.


There are also locations to purchase electronics, and the pricing is reasonably good, from what I'm told. I didn't do any comparison shopping there. I'm adding a few more images here as reference; hopefully they'll be of use to some of you out there. They were an opportunity to take some longer exposures in lower light, but they don't quite fit into the Night Photography folder. Anyway, I'll try to get back on track with the story tomorrow.


And, probably only second to beauty products are the shops that sell cigarettes, cigars and all manner of liquor.  Be advised you can only bring one liter (33oz) of alcohol into Thailand, if that's your destination.  You can also only bring 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or loose tobacco.

No comments: