Friday, May 4, 2012

Safety On The Job...Or Not... Pt. 2

Workers re-doing wiring on a sign above Walking Street

No Slippers!
On early trips to Thailand it used to be a minor amusement to keep an informal mental tally of unsafe work practices in and around construction sites; things that would be an attorney's delight here in the USA.

After losing count somewhere about a decade ago I don't play the game any more, but it's still something I notice.

Evidently others do, too, as I've gotten specific feedback about the first post from last April (especially the first image forbidding rubber slippers on site), so since there was a request for other images here are some for an otherwise lazy Friday.

A fairly comprehensive warning menu I saw in March

As you can see, there are a number of worthwhile warnings posted at a "real" construction site; often larger projects done under the auspices of a bigger commercial corporate umbrella. Nevertheless, there is still somewhat of a "loosey goosey" feel to enforcement.

The wiring below was within a foot of the "high voltage" warning on the safety sign above. Maybe that was intended to be sufficient, I don't know!

Perhaps they were just sharing outlets for motocy drivers to charge their mobile phones.

...and that doesn't even begin to address the hand-made scaffolding of one form or another. That'll be another day.

Some wooden scaffolding looks just fine, some looks like a feral cat climbing it would bring it down

2 comments:

Gary said...

Hello, I just recently ran across your blog and am enjoying reading your comments and seeing the photos. I am an American EXPAT currently working in Africa. I'm actually a safty and health manager and I also have observed the same kinds of safety issues as you decribe. I am going to BKK next week and will spend two weeks in BKK and Phuket. This will be my 7th trip in 7 years. I just love the Thai people and their culture. Best wishes for your safe travels and I look forward to further updates on your blog. Cheers, Gary

khunbaobao said...

I appreciate the participation, Gary - thank you. I admit a portion of my viewpoint is colored by what passes for normal and safe working behavior here in the US, but obviously we don't have it all together when it comes to safety regulations, inspections, enforcement, etc. either. Maybe I'm just more aware of it when it's of a different type than we'd see "back home".

Have a safe journey and enjoy your time there!