Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sleeping, Part 12: Some Random Napping

Aboard a river raft in dry dock near Chiang Mai

I've mentioned what a guilty pleasure naps are for me often enough that even I'm bored with it, but they're a gift the Thai - and those with enough sense in tropical areas - don't ever seem to take for granted. Thai people can (and will) catch 40 winks in some of the most unlikely places.

In the shade along Laem Singh beach, but that's one of the best spots.

It's not like I walk about with radar on looking for them, either, so it's unlikely I've merely run across a disproportionate number of snoozers. Take note yourself if you're in a location with a climate that encourages the behavior and my guess is you'll see your share, too.

I can't imagine how this could be comfortable, but so it goes

Children are easy to catch napping; they seem to be able to sleep at a moment's notice. When their bodies tell them it's time to rest, they simply disconnect and sleep in the first safe spot possible.

Napping on Mama's shoulder at Jatujak Market

For those of you wondering what I'm doing here on a weekend, it's a make-up for missing Thursday and Friday and a chance to say enjoy your weekend. For some of you in the USA it's a three day break, as we observe the late Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday on Monday.

Well, some of us do. I do. Each year I stop to listen to his "I have a dream" speech (at the very least) and perhaps you'd care to do the same - the clip is below. He was far from a perfect man, but he dedicated much of his life to striving for equality - an equality that has helped others who labor under the burden discrimination - and paid the ultimate price for it.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for a timely reminder about MLK. We light a candle for him each anniversary.
Phil & Frank

PS We raise birds....any Thai bird pix?

khunbaobao said...

Welcom, guys. Thanks for the comment, and I stop to thank Dr. King each year, too.

Birds, hmm? I'll try to keep an eye out for bird images and post some soon. I know I've taken them, but sometimes it's a challenge to find specific types of shots.