Monday, March 29, 2010

Let Sleeping Thai Lie: Sleeping, Part 1

Many people I observed while wandering around on morning and afternoon walks seemed to share a similar gift: they could sleep almost anywhere at any time, apparently at the drop of a hat. It’s an enviable trait to those of us who sometimes lie awake even at night, unable to enter the land of slumber.

Some of them seem more logical than others, I realize; it’s not often a challenge to drift off on the train, as blue boy does below – but the laborer duo were sleeping on the sidewalk, as was the young man with the red fingernail polish at the bottom, who I’d guessed had been out late the night before. If I tried draping over the back of a chair at Hua Lamphong train station to nap for a while my neck would be out of kilter for a week.

This will probably be the first of a series, hence the header.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your experiences. You hvae no idea the simple pleasure it brings to those of us "back home" slogging along.

khunbaobao said...

You're welcome. I spend 98% of my time slogging along back home, too - writing and sharing about my time there helps keep the memories alive.

If you have a suggestion for a topic I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks for reading my stuff.