Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Accommodation, Pt. 21: Manor House, Phnom Penh

The inner courtyard entrance to Manor House

Although I'd done some research on forums and the internet about the Manor House in Phnom Penh before booking it, it was still a pleasant surprise - and more than I'd expected.

One of the guys mops
on the first floor
Their internet home page lists it as a "Gay/Straight friendly" guest house, and I think that's a good description; guests I encountered there were of a wide variety and accepting of all types of folks.

The owners and staff were quite personable, naturally, and the only requirement for additional guests was that they be at least 18 years of age. I only saw the rooms I booked for myself and my friend (and the one I peeked in on for the picture below) but I understand all 12 available vary a little in size and style. The two I'd booked were both quite nice: spacious, clean and comfortable.

There is no smoking inside (one reason I'd selected them) but there are balconies and nice garden spots to sit and light 'em if you've got 'em.

This was a peaceful, low-key place on a relatively quiet side street. You were within walking distance of shops, stores, banks and ATMs, as well as the Independence Monument that you saw a night shot of last Thursday and just a short ride to the genocide museum (aka The Killing Fields) and the interrogation center.  There was always a tuk-tuk out at the street, ready to take you wherever you wanted to go.

My apologies if this was your room... housekeeping was finished and I took a picture from the doorway.

The tuk-tuks there are a step above what you see in Thailand; larger, more comfortable seating most of the time, and more head and leg room.  The basic fee is usually $2USD if you don't want to try to hammer someone down for the fare. I don't myself... it's not possible to put your butt in a taxi in San Francisco for much less than $3, and that's the starting point.  Motorcycle rides will run you a dollar, but I'm not a fan of those. If you're not going far enough to get your two buck's worth I'd suggest simply walking.

Standing at the breakfast area, looking through the garden area

The rates were reasonable for a boutique-style place, and the rooms included:

  • Full western bathroom with hot water, some with have full size baths 
  • Cable TV, 32” LED TV’s with DVD Players 
  • Individually controlled air-conditioning and fan 
  • In room safe 
  • Fridge, Mini Bar 
  • Complimentary drinking water 
  • Coffee and tea making facilities 
  • Desk 
  • Free WiFi, Internet 
  • Full Bar service and Pool available for guests 
  • Complimentary American breakfast served daily beside the pool

Eggs were also cooked to order in addition to the fruit, juices and fresh baked goods.

Since rates and other things can change I'll refer you to their web page for more information on rates and special needs. I'd stay there again. Nice people.



No comments: