Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Jatujak Market, Part 6: Fish And Aquariums

It's been a while since we've ventured back into the seemingly endless expanse of retail and wholesale mayhem that is the Jatujak weekend market, so here's part six. You can read the other five by clicking on the "Jatujak" label in the right-hand column and scrolling down.

A self-proclaimed advanced hobbyist with "a huge collection of fish" in their home asked a few weeks ago if there were more pictures of aquarium stalls and shops there, and there were - I just had to find them. I've done over 10 expeditions into JJ market (as some Thai friends call it) and tend to wind my way through it, taking pictures of whatever catches my eye. I apologize I'd put off wading through the thumbnails and looking for them this long, but here are some I've found for you ichthyologists-at-heart out there.

Aquariums are just as popular in Thailand as they are here in the USA - probably more so, in my opinion. A bowl or tank of fish isn't unusual to see here, but I've never seen aquatic furniture like you may remember from Part 4, where there was a living room table that held water and fish. Another is below. Understandably, $300USD is a bit much for most Thai to spend on a novelty such as this for their home, but obviously enough do to support the industry.

From my experience what's more likely to be seen are your standard rectangular tanks with a pump and filter, most not needing a heating device any more than a basic home there would; it just doesn't get that cold, except in an enclosed structure that's regularly air conditioned. Heating units for tanks are available, naturally; I saw some in the shop stall below.

While heaters, pumps, supplies, fish foods and decorative accessories for aquariums are cheaper there, remember that Thailand's current runs at 220V and may not be compatible with your power supply back home without a transformer of some sort. Otherwise, if you have a generous weight allowance for your baggage home you can stock up for yourself or bring things back for friends.

As a point of reference, as of today it's about 30 baht to 1USD

Naturally, bringing live fish through customs in your homeland probably isn't allowed (it isn't for an ordinary US citizen, for example), but your own customs people can answer that for you before you go. All they can do is say "no", correct?

As a gift for a new or existing friend in Thailand a basic set-up is an idea. It won't set you back very much, and is a more practical gift for a working person than a puppy, kitten or bird. Just a suggestion that's worked for me in the past. As I find more of these pictures I'll set them aside and re-visit this topic again.

Bags of colorful specimens are available to select from at dozens of stalls at Jatujak

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I first saw the aquarium living room table in Carrefour in Pattaya a couple of years ago and was very taken by it, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) my luggage allowance decreed that buying one was out of the question.
Your post also reminded me of an embarrassing moment a few years ago when I was in Rayong & bought a couple of Siamese fighting fish for a kid and then naively suggested that they would look better in one bowl.
It's funny how that look of pity an 11 year old kid gives you sticks with you for life!

khunbaobao said...

Good story! I hope the look of pity was for your naivete before putting them into one bowl and not afterwards, when there was one left "standing," so to speak ;-)

Unknown said...

Hi...is..a good බිස්නස්