Friday, June 15, 2012

An Imaginary Friday At Jomtien Beach

Part of the walkway along Jomtien Beach

Not to whine - although I did minor in it in college - but this past week has taken a bit of a toll on me, both physically and emotionally. It's at times like this that I like to find a quiet spot, tune the world out for a little while I attempt to center myself sometimes and daydream about being somewhere else than where I am at the moment.

Rows of chairs beneath a brightly colored ceiling of umbrellas
 
Many times that "somewhere" is under an umbrella on a tropical beach, like the one above; a cool drink within reach, hopefully an interesting book open but spread flat on my chest as I lean back, allow my eyes to gradually close while I listen to the waves lap rhythmically on the sand in front of me, joined by the rustling of the palm trees high overhead and the gentle flapping of the umbrella fringe against a neighboring edge.

A foot masseur works on a farang foot nearby

If I allow myself to drift deeper into the daydream I can sometimes imagine a voice asking "Massage? Massage?" The voice is low and soft as my eyelids slowly open and I see the familiar blue shirt of an "authorized" massage man standing in front of me; alternately looking down at my feet and back up at my face, hoping for a positive reply so he may make a bit more to add to his fee pocket and tip kitty for the day. "Foot massage? Body massage?"

Body massage under the palm trees

If you agree to a body massage you're often guided over to a flat spot beneath the trees closer to the walkway, where there's room for the masseur to manouvor around you better while he works, unless you're on a lounger that will flatten out, but those aren't nearly as ubiquitous as the canvas sling-type chairs seen above that are more for resting, although they're fine for a foot or neck/shoulder massage.

Either way, it beats the crap out of sitting in traffic, or worse yet, in a cubicle accessorized with an overflowing "In" box.  I left that nightmare behind a decade ago, but there are still obligations to living - and that's what I'll be attending to for the next few days.  If I'm not back here by Monday, start without me and look for me Tuesday.

And now, if you'll excuse me... I can see my chair is ready. And yes, I'd like to see a menu, please.

2 comments:

JSVAN44 said...

Very nice. You captured the feeling of the that beach and why it is so attractive to do absolutely nothing there.

khunbaobao said...

Thanks! I had a good weekend away, but I still caught myself thinking of being on the beach a couple of times. The location isn't as important as the atmosphere and locals, IMHO. Good to hear from you.