Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thai Smiles, Part 47: Just Because

Doing the "handsome" hand pose, as if he needed to

There are days when we've reached the saturation point where the idea of just going back to bed and pulling the covers over our heads seems like the obvious and logical choice. I'm sure you've had days like that; everyone does.

A young man at a floating morning market in Amphawa

Not every holiday goes as we envision it, the most meticulous plans are derailed, not every relationship develops as we'd like, and people unpredictably drift in and out of our lives - whether we like it or not.

Laughing with friends at a sailboat rental spot on the gulf coast

In other words: life is unfortunately littered with unhappy days, despite our best efforts, and regardless of who we are, where we are or what we're doing. The secret, I've learned, is to make the decision to deal with them in the most positive way available to us, and then move forward.

Boys laughing at the Hauy Phong orphanage near Pattaya

The last few days have been - to be as polite about it as possible - a bitch. An unexpected death in my immediate family led the list, but my back went out on Sunday and a few other unpleasant things have made for a difficult week thus far.  

Young woman selling towels and sheets in a locals market stall

I woke up this morning knowing I could either pull those covers up over me and give the day a miss entirely, or I could - to paraphrase the song - "pick myself up, dust myself off and get back in the race".  I got out of bed, had my coffee and sat looking through the photos in the "Smiles" folder. The images reminded me of many, many good times in the Land of Smiles, and it worked; I feel better.

Here are some random photos to add to the series.  I hope they brighten your day a little, too.

Locals wave as my boat passed on the canal in Amphawa

No comments: