Friday, October 12, 2012

Kanom, Khanom... Either Means Dessert




Kanom - or khanom, depending on which source for transliteration you refer to - is the word usually used to designate something as a dessert. If you check the "Snacks" label link in the right hand column of links you'll see many other examples.

The little crepe-like pancakes being methodically assembled and hand-rolled in the clip above are (as I was told) called kanom Tokyo.  Some would know kanom Tokyo as more of a custard filled snack, but these were more of the slightly sweet/savory variety, and quite delicious.

I've tried many varieties of these small street crepes over the years, and have yet to be disappointed with any of them.  Granted, some are more to my palate than others, but I'd suggest you try some yourself - especially if you see a few locals standing at a cart while on your travels.  As you've read here (and other places) before: the locals know where the best food awaits you.

The clip was taken in Old Chantaburi Town, near where I was away on the long weekend with my always helpful Thai physician friend. This poor soul is so good about being patient while I scribble down the answers to my "what do you call this" questions. He's proud of both his country and culture, and it's worthy of my gratitude.  Thanks again, pal.

Enjoy your weekend, everyone.  I'll be back on task with an enormous ongoing project and probably won't see much of the Autumn weather here, but plan to be here again on Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm yet to meet your helpful & patient physicisn friend.
Is he still available?
Eduard

Anonymous said...

Can I see pics of your physician friend?

Is he still available?

Eduard

khunbaobao said...

Hello, Eduard - thanks for the question/comment! The physician friend in this story has been seeing someone, but to my knowledge it's nothing set for sure. My other two physician friends are already settled down with good partners, happy to say.

I'm sure you understand that for reasons of privacy (and troll avoidance) I don't publish identifiable photos of my friends here without their permission, but drop me an email and I'll pass it along to him, if you wish. He may be curious to see what YOU look like, too. As relationship material he would be quite a catch, I must say.