Friday, November 30, 2012

Rain, Rain, Rain...And More Rain

A Buche de Noel that graced our holiday table  nearly 20 years ago. Time intensive, but delightful.

Torrential rain is sweeping over the area I live in California; the rise and fall of each wave as it passes somewhat reminiscent of a drum roll on the roof that's thankfully keeping me dry this morning, and dry is what I intend to stay today. It reminds me of the heavy downpours I've been caught in and watched from indoors while in Thailand, but those are usually much warmer!

Thailand has been having unseasonable rains, too, and I felt bad for the Loy Krathong revelers who were rained on while observing the holiday - even if it is a time many Thai honor Phra Mae Khongkha, the Goddess of Water. Somewhat fitting they'd get wet while doing so, but still...

It looks like we're in for several days of rain, and forewarned of that I stopped at the store yesterday and stocked up on supplies to begin Christmas preparations, something I take great pleasure in, even if the obligatory nature of those duties are occasionally overwhelming as they've increased over the years.

There will be close to two dozen relatives here in your humble host's home for nearly a week at Christmas - some just for the daytime gatherings and some staying through, sleeping throughout the place wherever they can find room for an inflatable bed, sofa, or, lacking that, a simple pallet in catawampus fashion on the floor.

So, I'm off into the kitchen today to begin prep work and the baking that serves as my "basket weaving"; my thinking time, when I can just put my mind into neutral and listen to the music of the season, the percussion on the roof and the occasional rumble of thunder in the distance as the house fills with the smell of vanilla, caramel and cinnamon.

Have a wonderful weekend - unless you've made other plans.

No comments: