Friday, April 13, 2012

Happy Songkran

We TOLD you not to park your motocy there...

Rather like the motocy above I'm somewhat buried under things on my "To Do" list today, which unfortunately doesn't allow me the luxury of time to put together a proper post.  If I can manage it there will be something else this weekend... if not, I'll see you back here on Monday.

HOWEVER... it is Songkran, a traditional festival in Thailand. Once a charming religious / family tradition it's mutated into a huge yearly fiasco in some areas. There's a truckload of info on the web about it, so I won't go into detail other than to suggest staying away from the larger tourist areas unless you're dressed to be drenched. I'd also suggest carrying your passport and anything you don't want soaking wet in a zip-lock baggie. Ask at a pharmacy for an appropriate sized one if you don't have one handy otherwise. (By the way, it still is a charming tradition in most parts of the country.)

The photo below is not from Thailand, as far as I know, but it's definitely an example of something likely to happen in a wilder area of Thailand during Songkran. Should memory serve I received it in an email six or seven years ago, and it's been in a folder of favorites since then.

Happy Songkran, everyone.

I wish there had been another shot, say, 15 seconds later...

No comments: