Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Accommodations, Part 1

Finding, researching and booking a room to stay while visiting a new place can be an odd mix. On one hand, there’s the excitement of the hunt; finding a place that seems to adequately fit our needs and desires, and on the other the molar-grinding frustration of contradictory reviews and misleading web sites – not to mention the often clumsy process of price comparisons while making the booking ourselves, if we’re not using an agency of one form or another.

When it comes to where I’ll hang my usually sweaty hat in Thailand I tend to lean towards the less adventurous, myself. There are plenty of basic rooms available throughout Thailand for less than few hundred baht a night, and if a room with a fan instead of air conditioning and a very basic shared shower/toilet room down the hall rings your bell, more power to you. In my quest to see more of the “real” Thailand I’m learning to be much more flexible about it, but normally I’d prefer something a little more than what many might consider to be “indoor camping”.

If we’re really honest with ourselves most of our apprehensions are more than likely fear-based, and needless, to boot. Will I wake up covered in mosquito bites and worry about malaria the rest of my trip? Will the water from the shower make me sick if I get it in my mouth? Can I really balance myself on a normal Thai “squat” toilet without losing my wallet and everything else in my pocket down the drain? [That last one you’ll see again in a future post].


The old saying
look before you leap is the best guide in this case. My suggestion would be to do some real, in-depth research:

1) Decide what you can afford to spend per night on a place to stay

2) Consider the quality of accommodations based on your past experiences/comfort

3) Check online maps to see where the lodging is vs where you’ll want to be

4) Research travel sites, online forums and printed guidebooks

5) Speak with or exchange email others you think fit your travel lifestyle


Being a generation removed from the adventurous spirit of Khao San Road back-packing I stayed in more traditional hotels on my first visit, and that’s the suggestion I’d make here for other “Newbies,” especially those of us in middle to later middle age.

If travel time permits you can also book a couple of nights in one hotel and then check around and book one on the fly after you're there. Internet cafes are everywhere, so you don't have to pay walk-in or "rack" rates. If you aren't there in peak season you may well get a better rate just by speaking with the manager or person in charge at a hotel or guest house.


If you can comfortably afford a room for about $45USD / 33Euro / 49Aud / per night, you should be more than fine. If you check around you’ll find rooms in that range with an in-room safe, a decent view, a good location and breakfast included in the package. If you do your homework you can find the same for less than that.


Remember, this should be someplace you’ll feel safe and comfortable while far from home – and much of what is familiar there. If you can’t afford it, consider saving up a little more before making the trip. Don’t cheat yourself – you’re on vacation!

No comments: