Monday, April 5, 2010

Now THERE’S Something You Don’t See Every Day

Outside the Chong Nonsi BTS station on Naratiwat Road late one morning – about a half block south of Silom Road – I suddenly noticed there was no traffic heading North.

I mean NO traffic.

Being the picture taking fool I’ve long prided myself to be I walked out to the middle of the road and took a shot looking South. Far down the street I could see cars, but nothing heading immediately in my direction.

To the North I could see cars crossing along Silom, but then… wait… a bunch of umbrellas into the street from the sidewalk, almost in front where the Sofitel hotel is. Curiosity got the best of me, and I had to see what was going on. Far too early (and too organized looking) for lunch vendors and besides, they wouldn’t dare be blocking an actual full lane of traffic, would they? I mean, this IS Thailand, and all...

It turns out it was a film crew of some sort, doing a rain scene – complete with large water hoses blasting water all over the place and a couple of elephants in costume. You can see the film crew umbrellas in the inset in the lower photo. Because of the water hoses I didn’t get a shot close by, but it was something you don’t see every day in Bangkok.

1 comment:

khunbaobao said...

I seem to have lost a comment from reader "Ray" (my apologies, still a learning experience here) who correctly spotted where I was standing as being almost directly outside the Om Yim Lodge - a great place to stay. It will appear soon as part of the "Accommodations" series that starts today. Try again?