Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Photo Test

Since this still a learning experience for my aging brain there isn't a photo standard yet on Bao-Bao's Blog. I've tried to keep pictures posted at a size that won't take readers too long to download, but have been told that since most folks now have faster internet service I shouldn't worry about that. As usual, I need a 10-year-old to explain the technology to me. Uggh.

The "standard" I've been leaning towards is 5" x 7" at 72 dpi, but you've also seen a few 6" x 9" at the same resolution, and unless someone can enlighten me otherwise that's probably where its going to remain.

Different browsers function differently (and there are plenty of them) - Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc. - but my guess is that most of you have already figured out that if you "click" on an image in the post that it will open as the full sized image, although that's not a lot larger if your monitor's set for a higher resolution (as I prefer myself) and you can use your "back" button to get back to the post. If you didn't know that you can consider that your Tip of the Day, and no day's a total waste when we learn something new!

The test we're trying today is with larger images - what most would call a panorama images. Some of you have panorama cameras still in a box somewhere, retired but still taking up space. Nowadays we mod a-go-go folk are spoiled by digital cameras. These enormous batches of "ones and zeros" allow what's called stitching, or blending multiple images together. I love the idea, and can even manage (every third or fourth try) to get the damn fool things to work as I'd intended.

Here's are a couple of test images. Try clicking on them and you should be able to scroll left/right to view it, if it doesn't display fit to your browser window by itself. If it fits, try clicking on it a second time to try the scrolling thing. The top image is a panorama looking South from above Pattaya Beach, the bottom image is the large snack shop adjoining a roadside restaurant Southwest of Bangkok.

If you're feeling helpful, let me know how it works for you in the comments section below. Anonymous comments are fine.

Khup kun krub!

2 comments:

Christian said...

Hello, works fine on Internet Explorer. "learn something new": when I learn a new word (usually some that aren't in the dictionary) from my Englis friends (I'm no native speaker), I say to me in jest "learnt something new, can go home now". I don't like forward and backward ("back"-button), I prefer to open photos in "new tab", then I can continue reading while it is loading. Learnt something new?

khunbaobao said...

Good point - I tend to open things in a new tab, also (using Firefox here). Lately I've been doing photos as 7x10 at 100dpi, and that may be what we'll stick with for most pictures.