Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thai, Schmai: Ritz Cafe, Jomtien Complex

Filet of sole Florentine at Ritz Cafe in Jomtien Complex

Sometimes when we're away from home and not feeling well we're all liable to give in to comfort foods. I'm certainly no different, and while it seems a little silly to be craving mashed potatoes in the land where one can find the best Thai food (who would have thought?) I've found myself taking comfort in Western foods several days over this last week of sketchy intestinal stability. Last evening I had such a fine dinner at the Ritz Cafe in the Jomtien Complex that I wanted to share it with you.

I haven't a great number of other places in the general area here to compare it to, so please take this as a report more than a review, and consider trying it if you find yourself in the area. It's popular enough that you're wise to make a reservation if you have a group that wishes to dine at a specific time.

In addition to a fairly divers menu overall they had a handful of specials, each offering an entree and the choice of two other items; i.e. a soup, a salad, an appetizer or a dessert. I tried the sole Florentine (above), the creamy potato leek soup and the blueberry cheesecake that my friend assured me was to die for. Two of the other specials I recall were a pepper steak and a lamb dish.

There was an assortment of fresh bread served to begin with while we solved the problems of the world and waited for our orders, but I was glad I didn't have much of it because all of the portions served were more than generous. The filet arrived on a bed of spinach as expected, but it was fresh spinach, and not overcooked. The white wine sauce was smooth and balanced and the small casserole of fresh vegetables was surprising in its variety: peas, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, white potatoes, etc. - all done al dente. Try as I might, it was simply too much to finish - and I knew I had dessert coming.

The blueberry cheesecake was as described: to die for. Smooth, moist, creamy, with a hint of lemon to the cheesecake itself it was accompanied by a blueberry compote - that wasn't cloyingly sweet as some can be - and two small scoops of vanilla ice cream.

Including my bottle of water my dinner ran me less than $12US. I certainly recommend it.

4 comments:

karin w-s said...

Sounds great to me. Are you bringing us some cheesecake to try?

john lewis said...

I eat there often and agree with you 100%. The Ritz is an excellant value for the money. Since it is a small place reservations are always recommended

Anonymous said...

Have you recovered ? Write about your stomach problems. Did you get an intestinal flu ? or eat something that was under-cooked, or contaminated with bacteria ? I'd like to know so I can hopefully avoid what's happened to you.

krobbie said...

Bao-Bao, Does this mean you are on the mend? I hope so. This time you have been struck down for longer than is usual.

All the best,
Keith