Sunday, January 2, 2011

Travel Tips #2: Packing Your Bags

[A long post today - and another for newer travelers, but I hope frequent visitors will find something they didn't already know that helps on a future trip. Again, shared input is welcome via the comments section.]

A friend of mine shared something that's helped me packing my suitcases many times, so I'm going to share it with you here: lay out everything you think you'll need for your trip, and then put half of it away again. This makes good sense for a variety of reasons - especially since airlines have continued to cut their weight allowances and have increased charges for additional bags and overweight luggage.

Some of you travel with no more than a carry-on bag, but I can't do that. I take supplies and gifts to friends and extra creature comforts for myself and I always bring things back with me, so I bring a couple of bags. I strongly suggest checking the fine print on your airline's web site for luggage limitations - especially the number of bags allowed and the weight restrictions by ticket class - and follow them. Some airlines charge an obscene premium for going overweight with a bag. That said, there's no need for you to bring a lot of excess junk with you.

Laundry service throughout Thailand is affordable, quick and readily available so unless you're changing hotels or rooms every couple of days there's really no need to have any more than three or four days of clothing, tops. You can almost always get laundry turned around in a day without a "rush" charge if you get it picked up in the morning, but you do have to pay attention and remember to do that. Ask at reception when checking in to be more sure about this - the printed laundry form you'll find in your room isn't always accurate or up to date.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that in general it's going to cost you about Bt30/1 USD on average per shirt or shorts, but rates vary by place. Underwear and socks are cheaper, but those can be done yourself if you wish. If time allows I don't mind washing smaller items in the shower and hanging them up to dry while I'm out for the day. If you're planning a longer stay it's often possible to find cheaper laundry service near where you're staying.

I've found the "wicking" sports-type undershirts and undershorts are very comfortable (they pull the perspiration off and away from you) and dry very quickly after hand-washing. You can buy polo type shirts made from this fabric, too - and they're very comfortable in tropical climates. This may be too much information for some, but wearing a pair of "wicky" sports underwear makes a long flight much more comfortable, too. Just an FYI.

Sundries (shampoo, soap, razors, lotions, tooth paste and the likes) are readily available and may well be cheaper than you can purchase them back home, so unless you have some specific items/brands you're loyal to, don't bring more than you'll need while you're there. My doctor has a generous baggage allowance and buys quantities overseas to bring back to the US. I'll bet you're going to be surprised when you walk into a Boots or Watsons drug store and see racks of Nivea and other brand name items. Big C and Tesco Lotus stores are also full of these common brands.

Some travel things are important enough to be worth making a checklist for - such as your passport, return ticket, traveler's checks, cash, travel insurance documents, a copy of your current prescription form and the prescription items themselves - preferably in their original labeled containers. Because not all medications are available in Thailand it's advisable to bring enough for the length of your visit, and prudent to bring an extra week's worth in case of a problem with your return trip. Two different Thai doctors I know pointed the availability issue out to me, and it's worth passing along here. I bring a copy of my latest round of prescriptions with me, and it's paid off the one time I ended up at BNH Hospital. [See "Sick on Holiday" here]

I mention the prescription copy and original containers part because although it's extremely unlikely you'd be actively searched when entering Thailand, it can avoid a prolonged wait or confiscation - at the least. I read one story of a man who had vitamins found, and when he said "fine, throw them away" saw them taken away, only to have them returned to his hotel a couple of days later - along with a bill for the lab test determining what they were that was far more than a full bottle would have cost him back home.

It should go without saying, but for the impulsive, reckless or just plain dumb: recreational drugs of all types are illegal in Thailand, and penalties can be severe. Your embassy will not be able to smile and waltz you out of the holding prison they'll find you in. As you may remember, I've seen the insides to one of those places, and trust me... it's not worth the risk.

If you travel with any electronics, such as a camera, laptop, iPod, and the likes (as I do) I've found it's also a good idea to gather the necessary cables, memory chips, proprietary batteries and chargers before the day you're hastily tossing things into your suitcases. Many hotel rooms have one 110V outlet for items that can't accept the 220V standard current throughout Thailand (often in the bathroom), but check the device itself and allow for the possibility that you may need an extension cord with extra outlets. Brand name batteries themselves are available in convenience stores, so don't worry about bringing extras if you don't use rechargables.

If you've already made friends or acquaintances in Thailand one way or another you've probably already considered taking them a small gift. That was recommended to me before my first trip and besides being polite it's paid off in spades for me over the years. I'm not talking about things as extravagant as name brand colognes or wrist watches, I mean simple "I thought of you" gifts. Items from wherever it is you live are usually very well received, such as a sports T-shirt of your favorite team, a local tourist item or some regional edible treats. I brought a few inexpensive T-shirts along one time with the Golden Gate Bridge on the front that were quite a hit. In fact, I've found most anything from "Ah-meh-ree-CAH" - as they often say it - is appreciated.

If you travel with things that could leak (such as hand sanitizer, cologne or a favorite shampoo) while in the baggage hold at 30,000 feet, do like I do and seal them in zip lock baggies. You'll find the baggies come in handy for a number of things while on the road.

One thing I'll add in the interest of your health is the matter of condoms and lube. For those of you who plan on partaking in the wilder sides of the nightlife there it's prudent to bring your own. Although many that you already have at home were made in Thailand (check the label) and although they're available at any convenience store, my same doctor friends say the batches sent outside the country are more reliable, sad to say, and your favorite lubricant may not be available. It is not illegal to bring these items into the Kingdom, but be advised that any other "toys" are.

Travel light, my friends. It's easier overall, and the shopping's very, very good there. You're going to want space to bring things home.

[For newer readers, there are two posts about staying healthy on holiday so far: on a plane here and in Thailand itself here, and one on staying hydrated here]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

R. Winslow said:

If you are traveling for the holidays you have to make sure that you are really ready - mind, body and soul. If you are going to be away for just a few days, try to pack as light as you can. As much as possible, just take a carry on bag to avoid having to pay for check in luggage.

[Commercial link omitted]

khunbaobao said...

Thank you for that - I agree wholeheartedly. I tend to travel with a lot more stuff than I end up needing, but so far it hasn't been an overwhelming problem.

Occasionally I need to store a bag at a hotel when I take off for a simple side-trip, but that works.