Saturday, December 11, 2010

Night Photos, Part 11: Jomtien Beach Area

Here's another batch of night photos - this time from the little soi that runs parallel to the sand and beach promenade along Dongtan beach in Jomtien. If you were walking along towards the "rainbow" area of the beach you'd walk along this part of the soi. It's in the area you'd see the Bondi, Tui's Place and other shops.

I should add as a precautionary warning that there are repeated news stories in the local media of various types of troubles along the beach at night - especially later into the wee small hours of the morning - so for those of you who find it necessary to go reeling around in the dark along the shore after over-consuming alcohol, you've been warned.

I like the shot above of the young man walking along the beach with the last of the sunset behind him. Although it was much darker to the naked eye, the longer camera exosure caught it.

I've never eaten at The Grill House - part of it is visible in the photo above - has anyone else? If so, leave a comment and let us know what you thought of it, will you? These pictures were taken close to Christmastime, so I expect there were extra lights on display.

The photos were taken just as the last colors of sunset were fading from the night sky and were illuminated by the lights along the soi. I think this last one is probably my favorite of the batch, as it shows a nice balance of natural and electric light and color.

5 comments:

krobbie said...

Sorry Bao-Bao can't help with your query on The Grill House as I am more of a Bangkok kind of guy but I certainly enjoy the shots you put upo.

I too like the balance od the last shot for its lighting components rather than its subject. In fact the lighting nearly is the subject of the photo.

Cheers
Keith

khunbaobao said...

I got a response on a forum that said "The atmosphere is lovely and the service very good, but the food is mediocre. The Thai food is OK, but in my opinion the European food is not very good." Probably worth a visit - I'll let you know after my next trip.

Shameless Mack said...

I recently thought about taking pictures too of Dongtan beach at dusk/night, but when I got there, I found the area boring to the eye; there were no focal points of interest to capture. In the end, I didn't take any photos.

Now I see I should have tried harder. Yours certainly re-creates the atmosphere very well.

Re the Grill House, is that the one that is part of the Rabbit Resort? If so, then I'd say the food is so-so too. Not really worth an extra hike to get to it.

khunbaobao said...

Thanks, Mack - I've admired the photos and illustrations on your page for a while now, so I appreciate the compliment.

As you know, many times it's just the luck of the draw (or light, sometimes) that can make or break a photo. A friend here in the US does nothing BUT night photography and got me interested in it a few years ago.

Lisa said...

This last photo is exceptional, I love how you captured the details and the colors. Beautiful!