Thursday, May 13, 2010

Politics: Flitting Around The Flame

Thousands of flying insects attending "BugFest 2010" at ArcLight Stadium, Udon

While it was very tempting to reply at length to a comment this morning asking how things are in Bangkok now, I did not - but it brought up something that probably ought to be addressed.

Opinions are like noses, and everybody has one - barring a birth defect, accident or surgical procedure. I certainly have my own feelings about conditions as they currently are in many areas of Thailand, but it is the intention here to remain apolitical.

Much like the insects in the picture above it's just too much of a temptation to fly too close to the flame, so rather than risk scorching wings (or worse) we're going to stay away from all political topics and comments that might offend anyone in the Land of Smiles that follows the blog or others who might come across it. Submitted comments that I feel cross the line will not be published.

There should be no doubt that I wish for a peaceful conclusion to the matters at hand in Thailand now, but I suspect it's a wish that will not be granted.

4 comments:

jodie said...

Just want to agree with your wish for a peaceful and just end to the current difficulties in Thailand.

J. Farmer said...

I have to say, I certainly respect a writer's prerogative to refrain from writing on whatever topic he or she chose. I can also understand why someone would be reluctant to comment on the political situation of a foreign country. Perhaps one believes that he or she is insufficiently informed to comment or perhaps it is a topic that one is uninterested in. I peruse a handful of farang blogs about Thailand on a regular basis, and save for the expressly political blogs, your decision seems to be the consensus view. That is, you refrain from commenting out of fear of offending someone.

I am somewhat baffled by this decision. Now, I can certainly understand how someone could make any number of priggish or ill-informed statements that would rightfully annoy or offend another, but if you voiced an honest opinion regarding your observations and reactions to events and someone was offended, why should it be presumed that it is you who is in the wrong? There seems to be a natural tendency in these situations to accuse the person voicing the opinion of being insensitive while never considering that perhaps the person who was offended was being too thin-skinned or overly sensitive to criticism.

I certainly do not fault you or think that your position on the subject is "wrong." It is just an interesting phenomenon I have observed where people who seem to otherwise be totally enamored with understanding the social and cultural milieu of Thailand take a totally hands off approach to understanding or discussing the political situation.



-John

khunbaobao said...

Early on I was advised (and agreed) it was better to avoid politics in Thailand with all but truly trusted friends I knew well. I have had long discussions with several of them on any number of issues I'd hesitate to discuss otherwise, current situations included.

I have fairly strong views on the subject, but as was stated above: "it is the intention here to remain apolitical" (meaning the blog itself) and I think it's best to keep it that way. There are plenty of other topics less touchy than religion and politics. ;-)

Regardless of which group we may sympathize with on the basic issues my guess is we'd agree that the energy expended on the chaotic violence, injuries and just plain needless hate could be better channeled into a resolution more agreeable than what's happening there now.

I do appreciate your participation, though, and thank you for keeping it neutral.

khunbaobao said...

...and, by the way: I neglected to include that I consider it not born of fear, but respect. Just my thinking on it. Thanks again!