Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thai Smiles, Part 3: The Jasmine Girl

The young people of Thailand are probably just as much of a handful for their parents as they are anywhere else in the world, but they've been charming and willing subjects for photos while I've been out on many a leisurely walk.

The family structure of the Thai working class is such that the children are often active participants in the family business (or maintenance), just as it may be where you live - chores are chores, after all - but it's probably safe to say that more of us mowed lawns and washed dishes for 30 minutes than gutted fish, worked rice fields or fried food at a street-side stand for hours a day to do our part. Nevertheless, their overall attitude seems different: my opinion is that children in Thailand take more of an active part in their existence, and that builds character, don't you think?

This girl has been at the same spot every afternoon for the last several trips, stringing flowers with a needle and thread and sitting patiently waiting for folks to buy them. Although it isn't the traditional usage for them I'd buy a few of the small "necklaces" with jasmine blossoms on them to hang in my room just to enjoy the scent, and after a while she'd sometimes already be picking out a few for me when she saw me coming her way.


Other than the basic pleasantries of the sale we've never spoken and so far I haven't even asked her name, but there are times here stateside that I think of her sitting there on the corner: stringing jasmine, and doing her part.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'.. but there are times here stateside..' Khun, are you living in the states now ? permanently.. or visiting ?

khunbaobao said...

Well... being a blog about my times in Thailand, where I hang my hat most often isn't all that important here, but thanks for the question. I'm fortunate enough to be able to travel regularly to a variety of destinations.

Anonymous said...

Well khun Bao Bao, I will be hanging my hat somewhere else soon as well. Just sold the house yesterday and moving on up, moving on out!!! Maybe we'll meet some day, who knows.
Wouter