Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fearing The Feral: Thai Street Animals

A well-fed street dog, Bangkok

I freely admit I'm not much of a "cat" person. With few exceptions in social settings I'm quite fond of dogs, but cats are of a mindset that leaves me cold, for the most part. Most of us can find plenty of other opportunities to be ignored - why bring a needy creature into one's home to add to the insult?

But I've strayed from today's topic, sorry.

Enjoying wandering around on foot as much as I do in an attempt to get off the beaten track and see things many visitors wouldn't - and it's not all that difficult to do, if the truth be known - I tend to leave my hotel or room and just go wherever my curiosity takes me. I don't go into people's yards or courtyard areas, but in the daytime I've never felt uneasy veering off down a series of side sois (small streets/alleys). In fact, I've had any number of pleasant exchanges with locals that way, and gotten a lot of good photos.

One of the drawbacks to being alone on foot in Thailand are the numerous feral or stray animals that populate nearly every area I've been in there so far. Even outside the side exit of some upscale hotels you're likely to see a dog asleep on the sidewalk that obviously has no place to hang his hat, so to speak.

A single dog isn't quite as much of a worry for me, but three or more in a group make me uneasy. There have been nights where I've been returning to my room and encountered seven to ten dogs sleeping on the outdoor stairwells of the BTS stations. It gives them a good vantage point, I suppose, but I never relish the idea of stepping over or around them on my way up or down the stairs. So far (pausing to touch wood) I've never been threatened, growled at or anything by a dog there, but still...

Bangkok alone is home to an estimated 300,000 homeless dogs. By feeding them (in their caring Buddhist way) the Thai themselves aren't helping matters any. Speaking of Buddhist ways, one temple I've heard of (Wat Suan Kaew) has become somewhat of a shelter for strays who are rounded up by the truckload and delivered to the temple, where at least 700 are housed, eating well over a thousand dollars' worth of food per week. It's over-run with them.

Unlike the people there, street dogs tend to be visibly dirty, and that's being kind. I know better than to try to pet any unknown dog, but I wouldn't touch any of these even if I suddenly realized it was my own beloved pet that had been missing for a week. They can be filthy.

The government there is doing what they can, identifying neighborhood packs and rounding them up to be taken and sterilized before releasing them back to the streets, and that's something.

My advice today is (again): be aware of your surroundings when you're out and about, just as you would in a large city in many parts of the world. Keep your distance from "feral" animals and - as if you need to be told - any creatures on the loose that could quickly take the shine off of your visit.

A mother cat and two of a litter on Soi 4, Bangkok

6 comments:

krobbie said...

There is also a p[lace called the Soi Dog Foundation. One such is in Phuket where a woman called Gill Dalley has helped thousands of soi dogs. She captures them and sterilizes them and cares for any sick or mangy animals before they are released.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s225UClTFhY

This is a wonderful story and there is a little twist which I found very heartening. You will see what it is.

Cheers
K.

khunbaobao said...

Her determination is inspiring, krobbie. Good for her. When possible it's usually better to light a candle than curse the darkness, I think. She's lit a lot of candles.

Anonymous said...

you either get what cats are all about.. or you don't. Cats have their own agendas. Part of the pleasure of sharing space with cats is watching them live their lives. Throughout my lifetime, I've only had 4 cats.. but all of them were very affectionate and playful. Cats love a good meal and a good time.. and other than opening a can of food every now and then.. it really makes no difference if you join in or not. You got to lay it all out for dogs.. being a pack animal their needs and outlook on life is very different. Dogs need companionship.. for some people that's a lot of pressure and commitment.

khunbaobao said...

Hmmm. I'll agree about the "watching them live their lives" part, but you neglected to mention the litter box chore (and ongoing smell), the fussy eating habits, the clawing of the furniture and the difficulty of training them. Granted, dogs have to be trained, too, but it's easier.

Cats are also far too often just let out to run free and dig/poop/pee/wreak havoc in the rest of the neighborhood by inconsiderate people, too. [Not knowing you I give you credit as one who keeps their cat indoors and takes responsibility for it, though].

PS Although I'm not fond of cats, I think de-clawing them is inhumane.

Anonymous said...

I guess I was an inconsiderate cat owner, because my cats got to go outside when they wanted. They stayed in the back yard mostly, only one neutered male would occasionally wander further. And another one would come inside to use the cat-box and then go back outside to play. The upside was they never clawed any furniture or curtains, never knocked stuff over, never crapped in our shoes and weren't fussy eaters. Being confined makes a lot of cats frustrated and neurotic. Letting them live a varied life, even if it's more dangerous for them, makes for happier cats.

khunbaobao said...

Please note I didn't say you were an inconsiderate owner, but I do resent having to deal with "kitty chocolates" left like land mines in my yard, whether that's occasionally or (as is in my case) at least once a week.

I've lived with cats and have had cats I enjoyed having around, but I wouldn't choose to own one.

I don't wish any cats any harm, I just wish cat owners would be aware that not everyone living nearby them is as fond of their special animals as they themselves are.

Let's move on, shall we?