Monday, November 29, 2010

Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat, Part 2

There were no plans for a second post about Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat after part one the day before yesterday, but I knew at the time I'd prepared too many pictures for a single post. Oftentimes the posts take a direction I don't consciously choose myself, and that one ended up being more about history and visitors making merit. Anyway, to keep the pictures somewhat together here are a few more from that visit.

In the top photo today you can see a little more of the extensive grounds around the temple that holds the large bronze Buddha statue, next to the the tall chedi. Below is a view of the entrance to the main temple. The ranad eek (xylophone) player was sitting just to the left of the entrance, behind the large white urn the young man is walking in front of. I didn't plan that (naturally) but it's a good point of reference for perspective, I suppose.


The row of seated Buddha images was in another part of the temple grounds, and although I've used a nearly identical image for the post about Visakha Puja day I'm adding a very similar one again today, since this is where it was taken (and I like the picture).


This temple was one of the earlier places where I'd seen the pig heads offered; the skin removed from the skull and splayed out flat, adorned with joss/incense sticks. They almost appear to be smiling, although we all know they'd probably have been happier to be still roaming around on the hoof. There were a couple of dozen offered on tables at this temple.


Lastly today here's another view of the Buddha statue itself, from a slightly different angle. I think it was the black walls and the massive amounts of gold adornment and painted detail that made this particular temple stand out in my memory as it has. For me, it was just breath-taking.

No comments: