Sunday, November 21, 2010

Streetside Omelets - Another Tasty Snack

Everyone's tastes are different, and I freely admit mine can run to what some might call bland - but if I want something hot, quick and filling that I feel fairly sure isn't going to give me any stomach problems, I like stopping at a cart and getting a basic omelet on rice. A fried egg on rice is a close second, but there's always the minor concern about eggs that aren't fully cooked, too, and I feel better knowing it's cooked through.

Usually there are additional ingredients available to add to your order, but I tend to stick with the egg and maybe some chopped green onion/scallions unless the stand's fairly busy and the other meat seems fairly fresh and well-done. I say that because I've seen food being cooked on early morning walks that looks like what's still there at the same stall later in the afternoon.

As far as I'm concerned the jury's still out on the whole "how clean are the plates and utensils" argument, but that's kind of a personal decision. You can see in the photo below that there's soap involved, but as to how clean the dishes and utensils actually get - well, that's anyone's guess. Probably as clean as they get in some people's kitchens. So far I've been lucky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that omelet looks delicious.. I'd probably brave it.. but I'd leave out anything that grows bacteria unless it's refrigerated.

beachlover said...

Street food in Thailand is fantastic. It's cheap, delicious and very available.

The cooking stations are very transparent so you can see everything that goes on (unlike most restaurants where their kitchens are hidden and could be filthy for all you know).

The food ingredients are extremely fresh, usually bought that day and slaughtered or picked out of the ground quite recently. Can't beat it.

I haven't been to any other country with such a great combination of available (everywhere), cheap, delicious and safe/clean street food stalls.

khunbaobao said...

You CAN "see" most everything, but one would be wise to question a few things: 1) how/when surfaces and containers were cleaned last, 2)how produce and meats have been cleaned and handled and 3) how long has everything been away from refrigeration. Locals have stomach and intestinal systems that have acclimatized since birth and can withstand one hell of a lot more than a visitor's can. It IS delicious, quick and cheap - but it's ALWAYS a matter of some risk. If you have a delicate system, be VERY aware.