Sunday, November 14, 2010

Flowers, Part 5: Orchids #1

There are nearly 900 genus (between 250 and 300 in tropical Asia alone) and somewhere between 22,000 and 25,000 species of orchids on the planet. While you're not likely to run across that many while visiting Thailand you're bound to see more varieties than you can shake a stick at.

You'll see them in every open-air market, in most every home garden and just growing on their own in the wild. I know a few of the genus names, but apart from appreciating their sometimes breathtaking beauty and color that's about as far as my mental bus goes.

Nevertheless, I've easily taken a couple thousand photos of them while walking, visiting people's homes, in formal greenhouses, parks and gardens and at markets. I won't bore you with too many of them at a time, but a few here and there shouldn't clog thing up too badly, should it? Good. Thanks for indulging me!

3 comments:

krobbie said...

BaoBao, I too have my share of orchid photos. When Bobey and I were off out to the elephant trekking in Chiang Mai we stopped on the way at a beautiful plant nursery and water garden. Breathtakingly bright and wondrous.

We got our timings just right as it was September, the end of the wet season and as you know as humid as can be. Perfect for orchid growth.

Nice shots BB.

Anonymous said...

they're beautiful.. and their myriad forms and varieties are fascinating, and stimulating. It's no wonder so many horticulturists devote their lives to growing them.

khunbaobao said...

I bet they were beautiful in September. I have an uncle who raises orchids so I take more photos of them than usual for his entertainment, too.