Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Flowers, Part 6: Another Assortment

Yellow Cannis in Phitsanulok

Here today are a few more pictures of flowers seen on walks in Thailand. The cannis above I know, and I believe the pink and white blooms below protected by the nasty spikes are what are called "Crown of Thorns" (or Euphorbia splendens) in the West - but I may be wrong.

"Crown of Thorns" (or Euphorbia splendens) in Udonthani

The red flowers below I was told were commonly known as a "Pincushion" plant, as the flowers have such long, thin bases that look as though they could be pins in a pincushion. There are similar blooms in the October 10th post about butterflies, and you'll see them again at some point.

Red "Pin Cushion" (Ixora) blooms - common throughout the country

The oddly curled pink blooms below have me stumped. At first I thought they were fading and past blooming, but on closer inspection I can't figure them out. I saw them in a garden in front of someone's home and didn't bother them to ask (as if I'd understand it in Thai, anyway).

[Today's captions corrected after a comment came in to identify the blooms I didn't know. Thanks!]

Cleome, aka "Cat's Whiskers"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pincushion one is an Ixora, lovely plants in red, orange and yellow.
The bottom one is Cleome or cats whiskers.
Enjoy your pictures.
Kind regards,
Wouter

khunbaobao said...

Thank you, Wouter - I've corrected the captions for those pictures. You beat krobbie this time!

Anonymous said...

you are most welcome khun bao bao. I'm a florist, I'm supposed to know this stuff right?
Wouter

khunbaobao said...

Yes, I'd hope you do! You and krobbie have both been helpful with the flower IDs - I appreciate the help!

krobbie said...

Just as well Wouter came to the rescue as the only one I had a clue on was the Canna Lily at the top.

I had a bit of a laugh at your reply though BaoBao.

Soon,
Keith