Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sek Loso - "Fon Tok Tee Nah Taang"

Not my photo (see note at the bottom)

Although he still actively records and performs, Sek Loso isn't one of the carefully coiffed stylish young pop stars you see splashed across CD and video cases in Thailand - but he's long been a favorite of mine. Born into a rice farming family in Nakhon Rachasima on 7 August 1974, Seksan Sukpimai has had a long and colorful career for someone still in his mid-thirties.

He goes by Loso, from a vernacular contraction of the English "low society"; a person of a lower caste, and the working class has always been the firm foundation of his fan base. His releases consistently sell over 1 million units, and that only counts the legitimate copies in a country where bootlegging is common. His career is still a long ways from that of Thongchai ("Bird") McIntyre, but he's a "keeper" in the world of often-disposable pop artists.

Although he's often heard playing music inspired by his early influences - Jimi Hendrix being a long time favorite - he's also recorded some wistful and thoughtful numbers about life and love, one of them being "Fon Tok Tee Nah Taang" (Rain Falls Against The Window) - my personal favorite of his.

A web site offered this translation of the song. Naturally I can't vouch for their work!

Rain Falls Against The Window
Today the rain falls against the window
I wonder if you're thinking about me
The past Sunday, both of us met, you smiled at me
8 months ago

Sitting by myself, I turn to look out the window
If you were here with me, I'd be very happy
You probably don't know that I am single
If it was you, you would understand
8 months ago

You might already have someone, a great person
And I would be a very sad man
You might already have a boyfriend
I still wonder, I still want to know
8 months ago

I only wish you liked me back
I'm only waiting to hear you say you love me
I'd be extremely happy if I got to look into you eyes
I'd be happiest of all
I'd be happiest of all

Here's a clip from the original music video of that song, taken from the karaoke video CD of that album:


... and here's a live performance of the same song:


You'll find a truckload of other Loso clips on YouTube, and you likely to see another couple here as time goes by.

BTW, I didn't take the photo up top today. If you'd like to see more photos from that same October 2006 performance they're at http://www.flickr.com/photos/yaknarak/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

like him too. Learnt a lot of Thai by listening and again to his MC/CDs.
1.he was in then mode of Indonesian looking (he still does) rock band stars. That country has an awful lot more of same-same slooking singers and musicians.
2. THAI music is NOT copied-just try to get it anywhere. THAT is protected by a real maffia old style-the only way to keep the revenue. Thats why Thai CDs etc are always a lot more expensive as foreign copies.

khunbaobao said...

Thai karaoke VCDs can be fun, but without the translation I haven't learned much Thai from them. I'm not sure what you meant if you were saying Thai CDs weren't copied because I've seen plenty there but they're already pretty cheap. Now, if you try to buy them here in the US, those can be a little more expensive. Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Anonymous said...

"wan jan" means monday, not sunday. Love this song btw.

khunbaobao said...

Ah, MONDAY. Thanks!